In the same way that iPods and other portable music players have revolutionised music, e-readers have changed the way we read. An e-book is simply an electronic book; it can be downloaded, emailed, and a memory card the size of a fingernail can hold a whole library.
Unsurprisingly, e-books are becoming more and more popular. As well as being able to carry hundreds of books around without back strain, there’s the environmental angle of saving a tree. What’s more, although e-readers (such as Kindle and Nook) are popular, an e-book can be read on a variety of devices and platforms including iPad, iPhone, Mac, BlackBerry, or even the office PC. As an author or publisher, you’re making life easier for your readers with an e-book.
The e-reading revolution includes a number of changes to book design and publishing. For a start, the process is much more accessible. IN fact, you can Do It Yourself! But it does require its own particular set of knowledge and skills.
Here at Soul Space Design, we can prepare your book for print media, along with the specific digital files that you’ll need for online publishing. Have a look at some of our book design projects.
One thing you should know about our e-book services: we hand code all our books. Why does that matter? Well, it’s all about paying attention to detail. We’ve probably all seen the blocky text and incorrect words in cheap (or free) mass-produced e-books. This happens when software is used to convert a text file into an e-book. Software is quick, easy, low cost, and it always makes mistakes. Doing the coding by hand (involving a human being, no less!) means no mistakes and the end result has all of the careful layout and formatting that we agreed with you in the design stage.
The following beginning-to-end service shows you just how diligently we’ll take care of everything for you. That said, you can pick and choose the stages that you need help with and we can just handle those for you.
- Ghost writing: have an idea, concepts, but no time to write? No problem. We’ll take care of the writing for you.
- Editing and proofreading – sometimes you can be too close to the text and can’t spot where there might be scope for a little improvement or tightening up; we can help sharpen up your manuscript and polish it before publication.
- Book design and production for print and e-book
- Book cover design
- Custom made illustrations
- Page layout
- Pre-press files for Print On Demand (POD)
- Digital files (hand coded) for e-books
- ISBN (International Standard Book Number)
- Marketing collateral for your promotions of the book.
- Author’s website: design, development, hosting and maintenance.
- Social Media for your book’s marketing.
Book promotional material
We can also design the necessary material to market your book. We can create a publishing kit to include the most important items you need, as well as promotional book videos. See these two examples of the kind of quality video we can produce for you:
Print on Demand (POD)
The beauty of print on demand is all the things you don’t have to do.
- You don’t have to invest large sums of money in a print run to produce enough copies to distribute.
- You don’t have to worry about whether you’ll be lumbered with boxes of unsold copies.
- You don’t have to store copies of your book in your garage, attic, garden shed, etc.
- You don’t have to deal directly with sales if you don’t want to.
- And you don’t have to worry about how you get your money from the retailer.
Of course, you can do all those things if you want to, you just don’t have to.
We can help by creating files that meet the technical specifications required by your POD supplier. And what’s more, unlike traditional publishing with its large volume print runs, if you want to make a change to your book – add a dedication, rewrite a chapter, update the index – then you can do so easily and the updated text is immediately available to the very next reader.